Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It is difficult for me to reflect on what happened this day 12 years ago from my experience.  At the time the planes flew into the World Trade Center, I was only 5 years old.  I don't believe that my parents sheltered me too much from the incident because there was really nothing I could do about it. I learned about the history of 9/11 mostly from school where they would have a little assembly every year in remembrance.  It was not until today that I actually saw footage of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers.  It made me think what kind of person would do this kind of thing.  The Al Qaeda group is the truest definition of evil there is.  Not only are they responsible for so many deaths of innocent people, but they also disgraced the religion of Islam.  Muslims do not have any more sympathy for these terrorists than we Americans do.  It is truly unfair that the Islamic religion has been associated with this group! The back-bone of Islam is peace and love of God.  Somewhere, deep within the depths of Koran is a passage that tells if you die in battle, then you shall receive a special spot in heaven.  This is the passage that the Muslim extremists have twisted and corrupted to mean "if you kill innocent people, God will like you more". Just like the Koran, the Bible has some passages in the Old Testament that make Christians Crinkle their noses at, just like in Christianity there are some denominations who other Christians want no part of.  My point is that we cannot ignorantly label Muslims as terrorists.  Muslims like Christians are kind, peaceful loving worshipers who believe in the same God.  We can however label terrorists as terrorists, and we can unite as a world against terror and evil so that no country will have to live in fear of being attacked by these hateful souls.

1 comment:

  1. I found this argument from the stereotypical idea of Islam as a collective something that I could very much agree with you on. More often than not we see white Americans clumping together Muslims and the terrorist group and being angry about this horrible day. We almost never consider the same anger of the Muslim people around the world at this act of pure hatred as well as how misrepresented their religion was from this. Not only was there so much sadness and hatred over the events of nine eleven but the after effect upon their culture and religious beliefs as well.

    ReplyDelete